Thursday, September 07, 2006

Lost in St. Luke's

Yesterday I had to pay a visit to a relative who very unfortunately found himself on a bed at St. Luke's hospital. And when I said "I had", I really had. Hospitals are anything but my place. As soon as I make the first step inside I start imagining myself entering into a strange world. My mood changes all of a sudden...I cannot help feeling sad and sorry for those poor patients on their beds. For me it seems as if they are all in a long queue waiting for their death. And then you see doctors, nurses and other staff passing by smiling and chatting as if nothing is going on...I admire them actually because I'm not at all capable of acting "normal" inside that building. Perhaps some here know much better than me how to deal with it ;)

In fact, when we got near my cousin's bed, I didnt even pronounce one single word. I kept staring at him, making things even worse. I had 10 thousand words what to say to him but I just couldnt. Obviously, I hadnt the courage to ask him what resulted from the tests and what's to proceed neither. But thank god there was mum with me (who is much a better speaker than I am) and a television (at least I could pretend that I'm watching tv). But visiting F was only a small part of the visit to my dear Luke, because the majority of the time was spent treasure-hunting.

Well that's what I think those who saw us thought! There's not a room in St. Luke's which I didnt pay a visit to yesterday. We knew that F was a patient in a particular hall so we didnt ask at the reception. We checked the sings at the entrance and headed as directed. But to our great disbelief the hall had another name. We asked the staff several times and were sent to different places none of which mathced our target. We also asked some passers by but to no avail. We also met some others who were looking for the same room but who did not succeed either. We returned to the reception for better results (we hoped) but still the information was not correct. But at least the nurse at the desk of this section knew that recently some halls changed their location and we were finally sent to our destination.

Phew! That was one horrible hour knowing how I am with hospitals :S But anyways, that's history now. All I hope for now is for my dear coz to feel better because he didnt look that good to me yesterday :(


4 comments:

Coemgen said...

He he, refurbishment in progress:))

Hope F gets well soon!

You could have paid a visit to me whilst you were there:)

born_to_try said...

Hihi...well I would have needed you for sure. Perhaps I even saw you passing by but I dont think I'll recognize you :)

Coemgen said...

I don't usually go out of the unit unless I have some errands to do, but if you see me (or anyone of us) you'll know it! Green clothes, green overall or white labcoat and green plastic clogs.

hehe

born_to_try said...

Lol...I'll stay alert for any such green species running along the corrdiors of Sr. Lukes the next time round :P