Thursday, April 20, 2006

This is the real thing now!

No more mock tests, assessments and things of the sort. It is the real thing now! The big day has come. Tomorrow I will have my French Oral exam. Since French is my forte I consider myself lucky of having an "easy" start. The exam needs preparation nonetheless because part of it deals with culture. But I'm sure I'll do well in this one. The worst has yet to come.

I received my last Academic Report and assessments from school. I didn't do bad at all with the result being as follows:
  • English - 7
  • French - 8
  • Maltese - 6 (I know I deserve better in this subject and I revised the paper. I actually had one spelling mistake and some of the corrections by the teacher were wrong! Can you imagine that?)
  • Sociology - 6 (Man I'm starting to hate this subject. Regardless of any attempt at improving I always keep getting this same mark. But perhaps this is what I merit)
  • Environmental Science - 8
Anyway, this is all bullshit. At least, as far as English is concerned. For the last 2 years I haven't scored a mark below 6. However, in my annuals I only passed with 2 marks. This is the system here, you do well in tests and assignments but you fail in exams (as if!!) There are 2 possible solutions to this pathetic situation:
  1. Teachers have been incompetent for the whole 2 years
  2. Sense of fairness is a mystery for the board of examiners.
For the sake of practicality, I tend to lean towards the latter. I'm certain I'll have more to comment about this when the results are out. For the time being I rely on hope!

No comments: